Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Crib Bumpers

While I was pregnant, I read every book about babies and baby care I could get my hands on.  As a first time mother I was very safety conscience and worried a lot. We put locks on all the drawers and as an extra precaution placed all the cleaners way out of baby reach.

When I set up the nursery I read all I could about safety and SIDS.  I made sure there were no pillows in the crib, no blankets, no toys and no windows nearby.  However, I thought that it was odd that crib bumpers seemed to be deemed safe. It seems to me that they are just another suffocation hazard that should be kept from children.  My girls did not have bumpers on their cribs.  We had no instances of them getting limbs stuck between railings and they slept just fine.

Today I read that the American Association of Pediatrics has declared crib bumpers to be unsafe.  They have stated they increase a child's risk of SIDS.  I am very pleased they have done this. 


Below is a link to the AAP about crib safety and bedding.
http://www.healthychildren.org/english/safety-prevention/at-home/Pages/Choosing-a-Crib.aspx




No comments:

Post a Comment