Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Phoenix Zoo Adventure

Growing up in the Seattle/Tacoma area, I was surrounded by fantastic zoos and animal parks.  Woodland Park Zoo, Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium, and Northwest Trek helped shape my love of animals.  I had always hoped to take my children to the zoo at least once a month and instill a love of animals in them also.

Unfortunately Las Vegas does not have a modern zoo.  I have been hesitant to take my children to the Las Vegas Zoo after seeing pictures of the facilities.  Whenever we travel to a city with a modern zoo, I make a point of making a trip to the zoo.  While in Phoenix over the weekend, we made a trip to the Phoenix Zoo.

Nadia and aldabra tortoise
Letting kids experience animals that they would not normally see gives them a respect for the world around them.  The girls were thrilled with seeing the animals in real life instead of just in pictures.  We were lucky enough to have an old friend who works at the zoo that allowed Nadia and Nicole to meet the giant tortoises.

Experiences like these will surely stick with them into adulthood, even if they don't remember it happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment